To apply as a Skilled Immigrant, you must meet the eligibility requirements for one of the 3 federal skilled immigrant categories. You will need to use the Express Entry system to apply.
How can I become eligible to apply?
To apply as a skilled immigrant using the Express Entry system, you must:
- Meet the eligibility criteria for any of these programs.
- Register with the Government of Canada’s Job Bank or have a valid job offer.
- Take an approved language test and meet minimum language requirements for the program you qualify for.
- Get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). This is not required if you have work experience in a skilled trade, or have a year of recent work experience in Canada.
- Know what skill type in the National Occupational Classification your work experience is in.
You can use the Come to Canada online tool to see if you meet these eligibility requirements.
1. Create your Express Entry profile on myIRCC.
2. Enter your personal and professional details. You will need:
- Your current/valid passport or travel document (or other nationality identity document)
- Details about your work experience
- Your contact information
- Details about any family who would come with you to Canada
- Your language test results
- Your National Occupational Classification job title and code
- Your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) (if you need it)
- A written job offer from an employer in Canada (if you have one)
- A copy of your provincial nomination (if you have one)
- Your personal reference code from the Come to Canada tool (if you used it)
3. Register with the Job Bank, if you do not have a valid job offer or a provincial/territorial nomination.
There is no fee to submit a profile to Express Entry.
After You Apply
Your profile will be considered for permanent residence. If you qualify, you will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for PR.
You might want to begin gathering the required documents to apply for PR, as you have 90 days to gather and submit them after you get an Invitation.
When does my EE profile expire?
Your Express Entry profile is valid for one year after you submit your profile.
If you don’t get an ITA for permanent residence within a year, you can submit your profile again.
For More Information
- Fill out your profile (Express Entry) – Details on how to apply for Express Entry. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- How Express Entry Works – Details about how Express Entry works. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
- Skilled Immigrants (Express Entry) – Information on selection criteria and how to apply. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.