If you want to work in Canada, you’ll need to get a work permit before you go. For the most part, applying for a work permit can be done online. However, you can also submit a paper application if you prefer. To apply, you’ll need a few things including a job offer, a passport, and your application fees. Applications can take up to 8 weeks to process, so make sure to start your application as soon as you can.
Checking Your Eligibility to Work in Canada
Secure a job with a Canadian company if you don’t qualify for an open permit. In most cases, you will need a job offer from a Canadian company before you can apply for a work permit. Your employer will sponsor your work visa and provide you with documentation and credentials to complete your application.
- When your employer extends you an offer of temporary employment, they must also include a copy of their positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- In some cases, such as if employment is executed under the terms of an international agreement like NAFTA, a LMIA may not be necessary. Ask your employer if you need a copy of their LMIA tom complete your work permit application.
- Permanent resident status in Canada
- Dependent family member status of a permanent Canadian resident
- The spouse or common-law partner of an international student or skilled worker
- An international student no longer able to meet the cost of your studies
- A refugee, protected person, or their family member
- A temporary resident permit holder
- Being in good physical and mental health
- Having no record of criminal activity
- Having enough money to provide for yourself and your family while in Canada
- Not being dangerous to Canadian security
- Not planning to work for an employer in the field of sexual services, including striptease
- Not planning to work for a company that is ineligible to accept foreign workers
- A valid passport
- Two passport-sized photos
- Evidence that you meet employment requirements
- Your job offer letter
- A Certificat D’Acceptation du Quebec, if your job is in Quebec
- The registration process to create your GCKey is short. You just need to provide a username and password and register some basic information about yourself.
- Banking Sign-In Partners include BMO Financial Group, Alberta Treasury, Affinity Credit Union, CIBC, Desjardins Group, National Bank of Canada, RBC, Scotiabank, Tangerine, and TD Bank Group.
- For the application process, you will need your personal contact information, your passport information, information about your job provided by your employer, and information for anyone helping you qualify for an open work permit, if applicable.
- If you are applying for an open work permit, select “Open Work Permit” for question 1 of the IMM 1295 form, and leave questions 2-6 blank.
- Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada – Work Permit
6212 – 55th Avenue, Unit 555
Completing Your Application
Pay your application fees online. After you submit an online application, you must pay 3 fees: the application fee, the processing fee, and the biometrics fee. The processing fee is paid when you submit your application.The application and biometrics may be paid through a separate online form, located at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/index.asp.
- Fees must be paid online using a credit or debit card.
- The fee for a work permit is $155 CAD. For an open work permit, you must pay an additional $100 CAD on top of the work permit fee. The biometrics fee is an additional $85 CAD.
Complete your biometrics at a visa application center. Biometrics including fingerprints and a digital photo for identification are currently required for visa applicants from Europe, Africa, and the Middle East, and will soon be required for all visa applicants. To submit your biometrics, make an appointment with an approved Visa Application Center (VAC).
- An approved list of VACs can be found at http://www.canada.ca.
- United States applicants can visit Application Support Centers across the country. You need to make an advanced appointment with the Centers, just like with the VACs.
Get a medical exam if you’re teaching or working in medicine or agriculture. Jobs that require you to work in close contact with other people, including teaching, patient and elder care, and most medical professions, require a physical exam. In addition, agricultural workers from certain countries are also required to get an exam.
- The list of countries for agricultural examinations can be found online at http://www.canada.ca.
- Your own doctor will not be able to perform the exam. Instead, you will need to find a panel physician. You can find your nearest panel physician online by searching under the Medical exams link on the Immigration and Citizenship page of https”//www.cic.gc.ca. Depending on where you are, your nearest physician may be in another country.